Thursday, October 29, 2015

Confessions Of A Pluviophile

Definition of Pluviophile:
a lover of rain; someone who finds joy and peace of mind during rainy days.


I was researching how to properly maintain a bike when it's raining when all I came across were writings on "how to survive the rain", and how biking in the rain is just plain miserable. I disagree.

I love rain. I've always loved walking in it, the heavier the rain, the better. I love how rain smells and how other sounds get muted when it's pouring down. What I don't like is getting wet, but that's never been an issue when walking. A pair of proper rain boots and a good, long raincoat take care of that.

Cycling in the rain is different but I think I've managed to remedy what was lacking in the beginning. I have a good rain jacket, gaiters, and goretex hiking shoes seem to do the trick.

If I had to choose between sun and rain, I would definitely choose rain. Rain is cozy, romantic, and sparks my imagination like clear weather cannot. Rain reminds me of the ocean - a vessel that can take you anywhere in the world! Rain cleans everything, every surface, so even old and dirty can get a new start.

It's going to rain on my way home and I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment