Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Managing Great Expectations

The weekend I've been looking forward to with much anticipation is finally here: Chilly Hilly.



Seems I have do adjust my expectations since the best part of the ride might just be the ferry ride. I thought Chilly Hilly came with distance options like Kitsap Color Classic did, but is seems that this is not the case. The entire ride is no more than 33 miles, which is barely enough for the warm-up lap.

Chilly Hilly has been kicking off the cycling season in the Northwest on the last Sunday in February for the past 44 years. The 33-mile route around Bainbridge Island starts with a scenic early morning ferry ride across Puget Sound from Seattle, or you can join the crowd directly on Bainbridge Island.


The climbs amount to just above 2,000 feet. That's what I do on my daily commute. I'm a little disappointed, but I'll get over it. This will teach me to read the details next time I consider signing up for a ride. But it is a Cascade ride, and so far every ride organized by them have been great. All rides have been well supported, the people have been friendly, and the grub has been awesome - except for the boiled potatoes they had at Kitsap Color Classic that I had no idea what to do with. But at least there will be cookies. And maybe heroin. Or meth.
Don't bother, they don't have meth
Post-ride I find myself having all sorts of cravings and sometimes they manifest themselves like this:

Me: I think I’m craving heroin.

Hubby: What?

Me: Well, I assume it’s heroin. It could be crack. I don’t really know.

Hubby: Start over. Make sense this time.

Me: You know when you’re craving something, but nothing satisfies the craving and so you just keep eating? But nothing works and so you’re full but you’re still craving something but still you don’t even know what it is that will satisfy the craving?

Hubby: Not really.

Me: Well, normal people do and I’m one of them, and I’ve eaten everything in the kitchen and I’m still craving something else so I’m assuming it must be something I’ve never had before. Something like heroin.

Hubby: Right. So popcorn didn’t satisfy you, so you just automatically assume you need heroin?

Me: Or maybe meth. Maybe I need to find a meth lab.

Hubby: Just stop talking.

Me: I was just thinking that meth labs aren’t like regular labs because they’re faster than regular labs. Like, if I need to know if my chest x-rays are clean it takes days for a doctor to let me know, but if I go down to that meth lab by the lake I’d probably get served immediately. Or shot immediately. One of those.

Hubby: How do you even know where a meth lab is?

Me: I don’t, but I just assume that there are some by the lake. Because scientists like water sports.

Hubby: Scientists?

Me: I’m pretty sure if you work in a lab all day you’re considered a scientist.

Hubby: Not if it’s a meth lab.

Me: It’s a loose definition, but I’m pretty sure it still counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment