Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Two Thirds, Arch Nemesis, And Matching Spandex

I have reached the light at the end of the tunnel because two thirds of my commute is now happening in daylight. Or at least somewhat daylight. I mean, I'm still at risk for vampire encounters the entire way, but at least I can spot them now and hopefully outbike them. Granted, I don't have any vampire encounters to report yet, but that might just be because I haven't been able to see them lurking in the dark.
No shit, Buffy
Not sure what the rules about vampires are these days; it's all so confusing. Vampires with feelings and all that. Not to mention vampires who just sparkle in the sunlight instead of instantaneously combust like in the good old days.

Vampires aside, having decent lights seems to matter less and less. I'm just glad there aren't any cows on my commute. Well, there's me.

I was passed by a peloton on my way home last night. They were dressed in matching spandex and huffed and puffed as they rode passed me. Uphill. They were surprisingly nice and all said "good evening" and "how's it going" - as if I'm really going to answer that as I'm at the end of the climb up 164th. I say they were all nice - until the last one, who wasn't wearing matchy-matchy spandex. He biked passed me so close our thighs almost touched.
This is where our thighs met
I yelled, "An on your left would be nice!" and "Give me more room next time please!" He mumbled something incoherent.
The entire hill for reference
Look, I'm all for physical encounters - sometimes with strangers - but not when I'm breathless for non-fun reasons. And not when it's by people wearing spandex. I guess I'm just not into clothing - it being of leather, spandex, rubber, what have you.

I also managed to snap a photo of my arch nemesis. Well, only the back of him. As I'm standing behind the car in the photo, he zooms passed the both of us and parks his big ass in front of both of us who were there before him.
Arch nemesis
Scene of the crime
I'm not entirely sure what the rule is, but I'm pretty sure that it's first come, first serve. At least if one's to follow etiquette. The light turns green, and does he bike fast? No. He goes on to bike suuuuuuper slow through the intersection, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAMN ROAD, blocking not only the car between us - who's now in a bicycle sandwich, but me as well because I'm not about to pass both the car and him. Then he goes on to biking in syrup tempo, still in the middle of the road, until we get to the part where the road is wide enough for us to pass.

I had to make a decision as to whether to let it/him go or to tell him off once and for all. Since I'd left my nunchucks at home that day, I decided to let him go for now. Besides, I have to prepare for a great speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment