Friday, January 8, 2016

About Last Night (No, Not Demi And Rob) And Cool Eggs

This is not a post about the movie with Rob Lowe and Demi Moore. And I really can't recall anything about that movie other than Rob Lowe being cute.

As you probably recall, I had my second flat yesterday. There was a little more woe involved this time around since I was on my bike and didn't have access to transportation. I'm telling you, if I win the lottery (yes, I did throw my name in the hat - since you can't win if you don't play) the first thing I will spend the money on is not a new house or a car or some diamonds and a horse, but my own personal SAG wagon.

I took the bike in to Gerk's Ski And Cycle after work last night. The mechanic there was Greg and I can't say enough good things about him. He taught me how to fix a flat, how to use a cartridge, and spent a good hour with me - where he also tightened the cables, fixed my gear issue, and cut the wire that had been bugging me for a while. He also taught me how to clean the chain properly and how to clean my bike.

I am now equipped with tools and the knowledge to handle a flat. I have a spare inner tube as well (not pictured).

My tool kit

What's in it
No need for two bottles in the winter
A neatly trimmed cable
Here's to great bike mechanics, because now I know they exist. I've felt like a unicorn hunter for a while, and I think I have finally found the place for my bike.

The tire was not damaged. Turns out that the glass chunk had just worked its way through the tire and not torn it up. Don't ask me how that's physically possible, but Greg inspected the tire thoroughly to make sure it was good to go. If there ever was a cool egg, Greg is certainly one.

Edit: I found out that I can't get wider tires since my frame doesn't support it, so I am stuck with my 25s - which is ok. New fenders this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment