Monday, January 11, 2016

Finally Seeing The Light - Both Metaphorically And Literally

New fenders! And what sweet fenders they are. With that, I am planted thoroughly in camp #teamfenders364.

Fenders that will keep me dry(er)
Nice and snug
No face splatter
Notice the clean bike?
The fenders were pricey. As in $120 pricey. Plus tax pricey. Since it didn't rain this morning, I have no idea how much of a difference this makes - but notice something else? It's a miracle. I have a clean bike!

One issue with the fenders on is that I won't be able to brush my tires for glass as easily as before. Without placing it upside down, that is. And I will be honest and say it's not very likely I will do that several times on my commute. So there's that.

My coworker suggested that I'd get mudflaps like these:


It's been a couple of weeks since winter solstice and there's actually light in the mornings. Not very, but I can see a faint glimmer when I start out at 6:45 am.

As you can see from the pictures, I still have the armadillos on.

The commute in this morning was cold. There was frost on the ground and I wasn't sure it was safe to bike in - but after testing the frozen asphalt out and finding it non-slippery, I decided to go for it. I probably looked like an idiot standing there kicking on the ground to test it out. Turns out it was a sound decision since it probably was too cold to be slick.

Only one asshat driver on my way in. Apparently he just couldn't wait for me to turn before he squeezed by as well - with oncoming traffic preventing him from giving any room. Now I shall go an check my tires for glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment