Friday, March 11, 2016

How Maslow Stole My Husband

Ultimate nerd cave
Beam me up, Scotty!
If you want the nerd cave above, you can buy it here. Believe it or not, it's for sale.

The 27,000-square-foot home is overflowing with boldly themed rooms and entertaining areas, including a home theatre modeled after the bridge of Star Trek’s USS Enterprise, complete with signature “woosh” sound when someone enters through the door.

I wrote about hubby's man cave a while back. While he hasn't played much Magic lately, I hardly see him anymore because the cave apparently is so cozy and perfect that he doesn't need to come out. Ever again. The cave covers all of Maslow's needs. All the way up to the top.


1. Biological and Physiological needs - air, food, drink, shelter, warmth, sex, sleep.

2. Safety needs - protection from elements, security, order, law, stability, freedom from fear.

3. Love and belongingness needs - friendship, intimacy, affection and love, - from work group, family, friends, romantic relationships.

4. Esteem needs - achievement, mastery, independence, status, dominance, prestige, self-respect, respect from others.

5. Self-Actualization needs - realizing personal potential, self-fulfillment, seeking personal growth and peak experiences.

How the man cave covers hubby's needs:
  1. Given that he has internet and cable in the cave, the sex part is easily covered. The other items are obviously covered.
  2. Yeah, that's also covered.
  3. This one is a little trickier, but I'm sure the internet can cover this one as well.
  4. Winning the online battle and protecting the world from the kid next door will cover this one.
  5. Between the internet and the cable, this one is covered as well.
If the weather was nicer, I most likely wouldn't notice his absence as I would be out biking. However, the weather thing is currently in the wishes-fishes category so I'm starting to feel slightly less humorous about it and more annoyed.



How much gaming can a person do?!?!?

This is our evenings:

Hubby usually comes home before me because it takes me an hour or so to bike home. We have dinner, then he does his vanishing act right after. Last night I felt myself getting annoyed so I sulked in silence downstairs, then after having had various dialogs/monologues with myself in my head, riling myself up to how I was justifiably insulted, then I stomped upstairs, opened the door to the cave and announced that I was going to bed. Very mature, I know.

This morning I gave hubby the silent treatment as we prepared to leave for work.

But I guess I made my bed, resulting in having to lay in my non-metaphorical version alone. I encouraged him to have a space that's all his, I even found it endearing. I'll admit I might have had some ulterior motive, thinking ahead of all the weekends I will be gone biking. But those weekends are still far, far away, and meanwhile there's no hubby to be seen. Is being a man-cave widow a thing?

So now I'm going to bed alone.



I suppose there's always Channing or Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment